"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled."

Matthew 5:3-6

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

An adventure to remember.


This past Saturday a group of four friends and I headed out for a hike in Kananaskis Country after camping there Friday night. What started as a simple hike in the mountains turned into a great adventure. We began the hike expecting a 6 hour trek to Lilian Lake and back. The website described the hike as difficult so as we made our way to the lake we were ready for a good hike (or so I thought I was ready). About 1 and a half hours in we arrived at the Lillian lake. The trail had been moderately steep but well traveled. We figured surely this couldn't be the end of the hike. We still had 4.5 hours remaining and the hike didn't seem to be all that difficult. We were looking for more adventure (at least the 3 guys were, I wasn't so sure I was up to the challenge). Thus we decided to attempt the loop that appeared reasonable on the maps posted along the trail. What it didn't show was the seemingly never ending steep incline, snow covered trails, and shale rocks up to the top of a mountain ridge. About 4 hours in we finally reached the beautiful view from the top of the Mountain. I have never seen anything like this and was so relieved I survived the trip up. It was well worth the hike. At this point we had to make a crucial decision, turn back and go the way we came or continue on the trail to Ribbon Lake and Ribbon falls. Being on a mission to have an adventure we decided we would continue on, take a risk and face the uncertain. The steep decline along loose shale rock (we failed to stay on the trail) was only the beginning of our trek out. We passed by the beautiful Ribbon lake, witnessed the wonderful Ribbon falls, scaled down the side of a cliff with only a metal chain to hold on to, and walked many kilometers through the valley. Towards the end I didn't know if my legs could take me any farther but I knew I needed to keep going. Eventually we finished our hike at the Ribbon falls trail head just as the sun was setting (about 9 hours after we started). Unfortunately for us this was 8 km from our car. Thanks to a kind family we were able to hitch a ride to our car. All in all we hiked 23 km and finished with an adventure we will never forget.

In many ways my trip this summer has been an adventure like the hike in the mountains, meeting unexpected friends, overcoming challenges of traveling to Haiti and grappling with the disparity of their situation as compared mine, reaching mountain top experiences with Jesus and persevering to the end even when I feel like I'm ready to give up. I'm nearing the end of my time in Calgary and while I'm excited to go home and see family and friends I dearly miss, I am sad to leave my home here. I have greatly enjoyed my time here and the people I have met. I will miss my Canadian family, playing with Talia and Kaisa, working in the EMI office every day, my Friday evening dancing, and the friends I made at church. Yet it is time to move on in the adventure of life. I think life is more exciting when we look at it like an adventure, never turning back and going the way we are sure of but rather taking the risk to try something new and face the uncertain. My hike in the mountains reminded me of the thrill of an adventure and has inspired me as I look to my future. I hope that I don't just play it safe but rather follow Jesus in whatever direction he takes me.

Once I return home I will have a couple weeks to visit with family and friends before I make my way to Columbus, Ohio where I will start a new job as a structural engineer. Jesus has blessed me with this job and I am excited to get started and to settle into Columbus, making new friends but keeping the old ones, and finding new adventures.

Please pray for my last week in Canada, that the work on the project would be completed, for my transition back to the states as well as for rest. I thank you all for your prayers and support and for joining me on my adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment