"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled."

Matthew 5:3-6

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Canada, eh?

Psalm 73:26 My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

My return from Haiti has been a bit rough to say the least and it has been a quick transition to my new home in Canada. I arrived home early last Thursday and was feeling great besides being a bit tired from getting up at 4 am. After getting home I became sick to my stomach and ended up in bed for the next few days. I improved and felt much better by Sunday just in time to pack for my trip to Canada. Through all of it Jesus reminded me of my need to rely on his strength not my own. With his strength, I made it to the airport Monday afternoon only to wait for 5 hours before taking off for Canada.

So I eventually made it to Canada and the first step to get into the country was of course to go through customs. I was warned ahead of time that some interns have had a little difficulty getting through customs so I prayed and picked a line that seemed good. When it was my turn the customs agent asked me what I was doing during my stay in Canada. I firmly answered that I was volunteering for a non-profit organization and handed him the letter eMi sent with me. He read through the letter for what seemed like a long time making me a bit uneasy about what he would say next. He asked a few more questions about the organization and then went on to talk about the charity he started that aids thousands of children around the world. He was quite interested in my work and gave me a link to his website. You should check it out at www.fortheloveofchildrensociety.org. We had a nice short conversation and he wished me good luck on my way. I couldn't have asked for a better customs experience. It was certainly a Jesus moment.

I am now getting settled in to my new home with Kevin and Michelle Wiens and their two daughters Talia and Kaisa. It is a wonderful home and I look forward to my next two months here.

2 comments:

  1. Lara!! Sorry to hear you were sick!! :( it would have been great to see you while you were in the Thrill... sounds like you had an amazing trip to Haiti, I can't even imagine the things you must have seen there... and that is so exciting that you're going to be in Canada!! I didn't know you had a blog, but I bookmarked it so I will be keeping up with your Canadian adventures :)

    Good luck and take care!!

    -Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had an interesting customs clearance
    -Johnny !

    ReplyDelete